Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chris Benoit - No Tribute From Me

As stated in my post earlier today, if the rumors were found to be true that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit had truly murdered his wife and seven year old son, there would be no tribute from this writer. Earlier today, there were numerous videos on YouTube paying tribute to the "great Chris Benoit", which I couldn't believe since it was pretty obvious he had murdered his family. As you can see from this video, he did exactly as was rumored...

A quick search right now shows even more tributes. All I have to say is this: If your neighbor who isn't a celebrity or a famous person murdered his wife and son, would you then hold a tribute to how great the man was? I wouldn't. There will be no Chris Benoit tribute from me.

Rest in Peace Nancy and Daniel Benoit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a wrestling fan, nor did I know the Benoit family. I am, however, a member of a family that had two deaths in a very similar circumstance. Please give his remaining children a break. He was a sick man who made choices that only a person with a sick mind would make. I feel bad that in our society we never stop to think how much we glorify violence and appearance whie we don't recognize that mental illness is real and all around us. We'd rather villianize someone than admit that none of those closest to him and his family recognized the desperation he must have felt. May they all rest in peace. May his children and loved ones find peace and assurance.

J. P. said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you that he must have been in some type of major depression, rage, etc. What I was most frustrated with yesterday was the fact that so many people were posting tributes to what a great man he was. He may have been a great wrestler and at one point a great man. But, it's extremely disrespectful to his wife's family to honor him and how great he is after he just murdered her and their son.

I'm not a big wrestling fan myself either, but this is an intriguing story for me. I live in the Atlanta area, so it hits a little closer to home.

It will be interesting to find out more of the details about the last few days/weeks before this happened to see if there were clues that could have helped avoid this tragedy.

Again, thank you for your comment.

J.P.